[c-nsp] Bundling ports on different WS6704 linecards

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Aug 9 07:22:56 EDT 2010

On 09/08/10 08:47, Rin wrote:
> Hi group,
>

> We are building a Core network of 3 7609 routers connecting as a 40Gbps
> ring. On each router we have 4 WS6704 linecards. Each router will be
> connected to other routers via 4 10G-links, these links will be configured
> as Port-Channel.
>

> Should we place each link of the port-channel on different linecard on each
> router or should we allocate all 4 links on the same linecard? Anyone has
> any problem with configuring etherchannel for ports on different WS6704
> linecards?

We do that extensively. It works fine. It is better to have
cross-linecard portchannels in general.

HOWEVER - there are a couple of caveats to be aware of. One is if you've
got different linecards with different QoS queuing, you will need:

int PoX
  no mls qos channel-consistency

Second is that there are some issues with cross-linecard portchannels if
you have service modules (ACE, FWSM, WiSM) in the chassis. I can't
remember the details or find the link at the moment.