[c-nsp] internal DSCP

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Thu Aug 12 16:05:09 EDT 2010

Hi Paul, please see inline below:

At 12:40 PM 8/12/2010, P.A averred:

>Tim thanks for your response, I think I'm starting to get it.
>
>So basically if you do ingress marking with an ACL by default it will not
>use that marking on egress unless you use an egress acl for remarked packets
>using 'platform ip features sequential'?

No. It *WILL* use that remarked value to rewrite the packet regardless.

The issue is, the fwding engine does certain things in parallel. In
this case, there is no signalling in the ASIC of the remarked DSCP
value to the logic that does egress ACL classification/enforcement
(remember, the INGRESS fwd engine does both ingress & egress policy
enforcement). So that match will be based on the original value.

However, the egress interface will always use the remarked DSCP/COS
to enqueue the packet, and the packet will always be tx'd using that
remarked value.

This knob is SPECIFIC only to the case where you want to remark on
ingress AND match on the remarked value, not the original value, in
an egress ACL.

It doesn't affect/change the egress q'ing behavior nor what is
rewritten into the packet.

>What about for the following, would the set dscp value be used?
>
>class-map match-any voip_traffic
>   match protocol rtp audio
>
>Policy Map incoming_voip_policy
>   Class voip_traffic
>     trust dscp
>    police cir percent 20 conform-action set-dscp-transmit ef ....

This will work exactly as you expect. What would NOT work, without
the knob, is if you then have an egress ACL on the egress L3
interface that tries to match on the remarked DSCP value (eg, match
on packets that were marked down by the policer).

Note that recirculation incurs a performance hit, it requires 2
passes thru the fwding engine.

Hope that helps,
Tim