[c-nsp] Network mapping...again

j.vaningenschenau at utwente.nl j.vaningenschenau at utwente.nl
Fri Aug 13 07:30:48 EDT 2010

> We're looking for a dynamic network mapping tool that does not require
> a large amount of hand-holding and manpower to manage. I don't care if
> this is a free or paid product. Ideally, I'd like something that
> autodiscovers the network including L2 and L3 devices, then
> intelligently maps them. I used to use Network Node Manager for this
> at another job years ago and I liked how it handled mapping. It did
> require a few tweaks to get right, but it worked very well. Something
> like that would be pretty handy, but we don't need NNM. We just need
> the mapping part.

You could try Netdisco. It's free / open source; does autodiscovery,
creates a network map, works great with Cisco (and most other big
vendors that support CDP or LLDP) and also gives a bit of inventory
management.

While I prefer to use the bleeding edge CVS version, you could try the
VMware image. That one is quite recent and has the features you're
looking for.

Regards,

Jeroen van Ingen
ICT Service Centre
University of Twente, P.O.Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands