[c-nsp] /18 and multihomed BGP

Heath Jones hj1980 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 12:00:49 EDT 2010

Robert's response pretty much covers it all really.

If those 2 ISP's are advertising /24's out to the wider internet, your
screwed. Traffic will never come down via this new ISP.
The way to solve it, is to advertise the /24's as you already are, but get
those 2 ISP's to summarize into a /18 before they export, or you pass them a
/18 as well and mark the /24's as no export. Then you pass just the /18 to
this new ISP which they will then advertise.

So as far as the wider internet, it will just be /18's to your network.
As far as the 2 existing ISP's you will have load balanced links as they are
now.
As far as the new ISP, you won't have load balancing but you will still see
some traffic.

Hope this makes sense...

Heath