[c-nsp] Network mapping...again

Adam Armstrong lists at memetic.org
Mon Aug 16 19:08:05 EDT 2010

On 12/08/2010 18:10, John Neiberger wrote:
> We're looking for a dynamic network mapping tool that does not require
> a large amount of hand-holding and manpower to manage. I don't care if
> this is a free or paid product. Ideally, I'd like something that
> autodiscovers the network including L2 and L3 devices, then
> intelligently maps them. I used to use Network Node Manager for this
> at another job years ago and I liked how it handled mapping. It did
> require a few tweaks to get right, but it worked very well. Something
> like that would be pretty handy, but we don't need NNM. We just need
> the mapping part.
>
> We have too many tools that already require a lot of time to maintain.
> I don't want to add another one that is going to take a lot of time. A
> reasonable amount of time is expected. I just don't want anything over
> time consuming. This is a fairly large network with a large number of
> routers and switches, all Cisco.
>
> I just need something that works, and works well, preferably out of
> the box. I don't have time to build a grow-your-own solution or piece
> together open source stuff.
>
> Any thoughts?

What do you mean by "intelligently maps"?

We're intending to be 'the' autodiscovering open source nms, though
we're still a long way off being perfect. have a look, if we're close to
your requirements, submit some feature requests and see if we can
implement what you want quickly enough.

http://www.observium.org

why do i seem to be plugging here so often? :)

adam.