[c-nsp] incoming queue

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Aug 18 13:26:49 EDT 2010

I'm not sure I can answer, but you could probably help youself by
supplying a bit more information.

A shot in the dark: Did you enable "mls qos trust cos" on the port?
(Beware that this propagates to every port on the same ASIC.)

But on what device (incl. relevant modules) and what IOS version are you
having this problem?

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 12:07 -0400, P.A wrote:
> hi, i read on cisco's site

Where? (URL?)

>                            that the default cos mapping for this receive
> queue is cos 5 mapped to priority queue 2, but when i do a show queuing im
> not seeing that mapping on the receive queue. when I try to map cos 5 to
> receive queue 2,

How? (Copy of configuration session?)

>                  I only have an option for queue id 1.

I'm guessing 6500/7600 of some kind from the output at the bottom of
your mail.

This kind of queuing only works with "mls qos trust cos" configured on
the interface. Without this it seems to just ignore the configuratton.

The "rcv-queue" seems to give you a warning about this. Example on 6500
12.2SXF, Gi4/1 on a WS-X6516-GBIC card (the only thing I could find with
incoming priority-queuing):

Router(config)#int gi4/3
Router(config-if)#rcv-queue cos-map 1 1 0 1 2 3 4
Propagating cos-map configuration to:  Gi4/1 Gi4/2 Gi4/3 Gi4/4 Gi4/5 Gi4/6 Gi4/7 Gi4/8
Warning: rcv cosmap will not be applied in hardware.
  To modify rcv cosmap in hardware, all of the interfaces below
  must be put into 'trust cos' state:
    Gi4/1 Gi4/2 Gi4/3 Gi4/4 Gi4/5 Gi4/6 Gi4/7 Gi4/8
Router(config-if)#

>  On the outgoing queue
> all is fine but for the incoming queue I don't have what cisco says should
> be the default, cos 5 mapped to input queue 2.anyone know what the issue is?
> I also read somewhere

Where? (URL?)

>                       that the incoming default queue mappings are enabled
> on a trunk interface only.

On an interface without "mls qos trust cos" everything ends up in queue
1 threshold 1, but that's another thing.

An access port would have what kind of queueing if not the default? I
would guess any kind of queueing would be the "default" queueing. And
every port will do _some_ kind of queueing, even if it's just putting
everything in the same one queue with no differentiating threholds and
taildropping.

--
Peter