[c-nsp] full duplex mismatch speed - dynamips

Heath Jones hj1980 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 02:33:14 EDT 2010

Thats an interesting point! I had that problem yesterday with a ethernet
extension service CPE connecting to 2800. The CPE didn't like no auto.

I'm really curious as to why there are many people here saying forcing ports
is a bad thing though. I was pretty surprised to be reading that actually,
its good to have another perspective on the idea.

I've seen countless issues where inter switch links, inter router links and
also links between servers and switches have cause so many issues. On almost
all of these occasions, forcing will solve the problem.
The link is actually going down while the renegotiation happens. This causes
a L2 topology change, so frames will be dropped. In a service provider
environment, there will be a L3 topology change - IGP does its thing and
this may take some time (especially on a heavily loaded router). The end
result is customers start calling wondering where their traffic went.

It sounds like this is a matter of opinion and the opinion depends on the
environment in which it is being applied, no ??

I'll be honest here, I've never truely understood the cause of speed duplex
mismatches. Noise would be the obvious one, but does noise actually play a
big part on relatively short cat5 links? Dodgy connectors? Problems with the
PLL decoder getting out of sync (noise again?)? Faulty clock?? Someone
jumping on the cable??

Is there someone here that has actually gone to town on this one - CRO etc??

Cheers
Heath