[c-nsp] The myths of autonegotiate vs forced

Jim Getker (getker) getker at cisco.com
Fri Aug 20 16:32:54 EDT 2010

Well one problem with that is that a port configured to auto-negotiate
can only link up in half duplex the link partner is configured as fixed
speed.  This is called parallel detection.  The phy is transmitting fast
link pulses (FLP's). On the receive side it can detect FLP's, MLT3
coding for 100mbps, or Manchester for 10mpbs.  If the phy receives MLT3
or Manchester it links up the appropriate speed and half duplex, this is
required by 802.3.  If a port can only do auto-negotiation it can never
come up in full duplex when it parallel detects.  So if a link partner
does not support auto-negotiation but it does run full duplex you could
never fix the duplex mismatch.  I don't know if this was the original
intent behind the way the speed control works, but it would be an issue.

Regards,

Jim