[c-nsp] Why hard-setting speed and duplex on Fast Ethernet is bad

P C pc50000 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 11:03:53 EDT 2010

I always auto-negotiate on anything deployed in the last 5 years for two
reasons:

1) I've seen more undetected "errors" from mis-configured manual
speed/duplex on a link, than problems prevents by hard-coding devices.

2) As a praticle matter, most new deployment seem to be gigabit and copper
gigabit standard does not permit behavior #2 (or not using auto-neg).
I do agree, it would be nice to be able to "participate in auto-negotiation,
but only offer the configured settings" as a configuration option.