[c-nsp] Storm-Control on server switch uplinks.

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Aug 24 03:50:22 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 13:07 -0400, Christina Klam wrote:
> A couple weeks ago, I added storm-control for all of the (two 1-gig
> fiber)uplinks to our Cat6500 gateway switch.  Because of the large
> amounts of drops from the data center switch uplinks, I removed unicast
> storm-control.  What are your thoughts on using storm-control, in
> general, on switch uplinks?

We use broadcast og multicast storm-control on downlinks towards access
switches, generally at 50% just to make sure a broadcast storm doesn't
spread too much.

I'm not sure I understand unicast suppresion; it sometimes triggers even
when I would think it shouldn't. I haven't been able to grab the data
(via SPAN) so I can't say exactly why it happens. The scenario was
without any L2 redundancy, which could otherwise explain unknown
unicast.

I'm not sure why one would use it on uplinks, i.e. on the access switch
side of things. AFAIK storm-control is an ingress thing.

--
Peter