[c-nsp] Jumbo Frames Support on Datacenter Switches

Bulleri, Carlos Carlos.Bulleri at matsci.com
Tue Aug 24 10:20:55 EDT 2010

We currently have a 4500 switch with a SupII+ on our Datacenter and all our server farm is ran through it. I'm trying to redesign our Architecture to add multiple path to  gain some redundancy so I'm trying to replace the one switch with 2 switches directly mounted on the server rack.

I'm looking at the 4900 series as a possibility, I like the capacity and throughput as well as the power redundancy options available, but I have a question in regards to Jumbo Frame support. The 4500 series will only support Jumbo frames on non-blocking ports. This limits the amount of ports available and I need to enable this feature on a larger amount of ports to increase performance on  our iSCSI storage device. I've found no documentation on the 4900 series in regards to jumbo frame support and I've even found some references indicating that they have the same limitation as their 4500 series predecessors.

Has anyone successfully implemented Jumbo Frames on a 4900 series? Should I be looking on a different line of switches all together??

Thanks!!

Carlos.