[c-nsp] 3750 stack

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Wed Aug 25 04:00:40 EDT 2010

Hi,

* Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk> [2010-08-25 08:55:00+0100]:

> > Interesting, Cisco told us it is generally a bad idea going much above
> > five switch stacks.  Something to do with the fact that at the rear of
> > the switch you have a token ring-esque system and 40Gbps of backplane
> > (off the top of my head).  In the early code they only had a single
> > token flying around the switches which caused horrible latency woes I
> > would imagine, but things improved when they had multiple tokens
> > rotating through the loop.
>
> StackWisePlus is a 32G full duplex bidirectional ring (when cables all
> installed properly.... this means you should still be better ff using
> it rather than having 2 stacks and trying to link the 2 together using
> eg expensive 10G ethernet X2's or port-channelled 1G's

I should have been clearer, we have 3750 stacks in our data closests as
workstation edge termination kit.  Pulling two numbers out of nowhere
and slapping them together (plus our use of 'switchport protected' in
our standard access port template) tells me 99% of the traffic is not
workstation<->workstation.

So for us, I still am thinking two stacks is better than one :)

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Is death legally binding?