[c-nsp] BFD in XR 3.9.1

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Aug 25 06:36:47 EDT 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Peter Rathlev wrote:
> I would actually very much like to have something like BFD for L2. When
> constructing EoMPLS paths through the network failover (seen from
> between two "CE" devices) can be oh-so-slow, with RSTP (~6 sec) and UDLD
> (~5 sec) being the quickest to discover loss of connectivity.
>
> Or did I overlook something?

BFD WG was initially chartered to develop BFD over 802.3 in close
collaboration with IEEE.  This has not materialized in BFD
deliverables. I understand this is due to IEEE OAM (ah, ag) mechanisms
improving and IEEE not being very interested in working on this.  I've
seen it mentioned recently in e.g. Juniper's some presentations, so
maybe something non-standard is going on.