[c-nsp] Cat6500 modular IOS - direction?

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Fri Aug 27 14:23:53 EDT 2010

On 2010-08-27 18:49, Abello, Vinny wrote:

> So, I've been reading many posts, Cisco documentation and release notes and
> testing various versions of 12.2(33)SXH and SXI in a lab environment. Based
> on all the Cisco marketing fluff, modular IOS seems like the way to go for
> reliability. Real world experience from many smart people on this list seem
> to have the opposite opinion. I've read things indicating that the platform
> is going to be going all modular in the future (and one thing that said the
> opposite??). I'm further very confused by Cisco dropping the install command
> from SXI3 onward so there is no more patching which was one of the
> advantages to using it.

This is a sign that the modular IOS won't be the way in the future
for IOS on Catalyst 6500. With the new Supervisor the IOS-XE high
availability model is going to be used (however it is still to early
to get into gory details), so rather than going deep down to the
sub-process level patchability which was the target for the modular
IOS (and it seems it wasn't widely used), 6500 with the classical IOS
is going back to the developments Cisco made to its NSF/SSO and ISSU
features. Also, that way, IOS code base for the 6500 will benefit the
most from the code already written and present for other platforms.

Until there's formal CCO statement of direction, You should contact
your account team to get more details.

--
"Everything will be okay in the end.  |                 Łukasz Bromirski
  If it's not okay, it's not the end." |      http://lukasz.bromirski.net