[c-nsp] 7200VXR upgrade

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Tue Aug 31 19:20:53 EDT 2010

  Hi,

I have a customer with a 7204VXR / NPE300 and 256MB DRAM and the
following cards/interfaces:
-    C7200-IO-FE-MII/RJ45=
-    PA-8T-V35= (only three serial interfaces in use)
-    PA-FE-TX
-    PA-FE-TX (spare)
-    PA-1GE=

It currently supports nine BGP sessions (all but one is iBGP) for a
total of only about 100 routes.

It does about 50Mbps / 25Mbps throughput (~20mpps) on average to a
single upstream Internet provider which provides nothing more than a
default route. The CPU generally runs at about 45%, RAM at 10%.

The customer is planning to add a second 50Mbps link to another Internet
provider. At this point it's only being considered a backup link, but
it's possible they may decide to accept full routes in the future and
route in/out both links.

Frankly I think that they could upgrade to an NPE400 and keep the RAM as
is and still be OK, as long as they don't get the BGP full routes. If
they get the full routes from both providers, what do you think ...
NPE-G1 and 1GB RAM?

Thanks,
Adam