[c-nsp] Multicast distribution over backbone

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Dec 1 07:14:11 EST 2010

On 01/12/10 11:54, Robert Hass wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have 6 routers in 6 cities interconnected by 1Gbps links from third party
> providers (just 1 VLAN over xconnects, no QinQ, MTU=1500).  Each city is
> connected to main node.  I have to distribute multicast streams (around 100
> channels of IPTV) from source 1 city to 5 others over these 1Gbps links.
> All devices are Cat6500/Sup720.  All routers runs IS-IS and iBGP.  And in
> each city local distrubution will be done over PIM Spare-Mode to L3 switches
> (Cat3560-X).
>
> How do this best ? Use mBGP ? Use MSDP ? Configure just PIM-SM on backbone
> interfaces ? Or maybe some hybrid solution ?

You just need PIM-SM.

Designate one router as the RP. Configure PIM-SM each router. Configure
them all with the same RP.

You only need MSDP to pass source info between PIM-SM RPs.

You only need BGP multicast AF if you want to use a different routing
table for the multicast RPF check (and thus distribution tree).