[c-nsp] Cisco ASR 9K Vs 7600

Andris Zariņš andris.zarins at smn.lv
Wed Dec 1 10:31:11 EST 2010

Hi folks,

Would You consider an ASR 9K as a reasonable (money and tech-wise) upgrade to Cat7600? I understand that ASR9K scales way better than c7600, and there should be lots of other reasons why ASR9K would be more appropriate for SP core network... but I just can not gather enough arguments to initiate an upgrade project so far. Box will be used as SP backbone router, MPLS-P functionality, aggregating lots of 10G feeds of data/voice/video (yes, VidMon should help here)

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's got into the same situation or maybe its a popular challenge these days? If anybody has faced such choice at some point - it would be great if You could share your pros/cons and if its not a secret - your conclusion as well - is ASR9K worth a shot and if yes/no - why?

Cheers,
Andris