[c-nsp] Cisco ASR 9K Vs 7600

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 21:59:07 EST 2010

If you do not need the MLS capabilities of the 7600 such as SVIs, then the
ASR9K is a good box.  The ASR9K should be able to solve that problem in
the future, but a loopback cable is the current solution. :)  The routing
table capacity isn't huge for both V4/V6 combined but it's adequate until
the newer line cards come out with increased capacity.   Some of the
issues I had were addressed in the 4.0 software like the lack of
autotunnel autobackup.

We have started to deploy them with decent success so far, at least I
haven't heard of any major issues, fulfilling a similar role as you stated
below.  I would not look at purchasing a 7600 over the ASR9K, but if you
have some 7600s lying around then I don't know if I'd buy an ASR9K
instead.

The MX probably has more features than the ASR9K at this point and it has
been out much longer, but if you are comfortable with Cisco and you do not
need the features, then you may not have a lot of incentive to switch.

Phil