[c-nsp] Is the 6704 really as terrible as everyone says?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 2 11:04:50 EST 2010

On 02/12/10 15:41, Drew Weaver wrote:
> I've read several posts on here that lead me to believe that the
> WS-6704-10G is essentially the worst linecard ever produced.

I think that's probably a bit strong! 6148 for starters...

> The problem is, I only need 2 ports of 10G and just to replace
> 2x1Gbps uplinks that almost never get anywhere near their line rate
> capacity.

We use them. They have some well documented limitations, but TBH we've
never had a big problem with them. We're moving to 6716 for new buys
now, for density and buffer size reasons, but we still have a bunch in
the network performing fine.

I think you'll be OK if you're well under 10gig, and as you say the
price/performance is an issue on the better cards.