[c-nsp] Is the 6704 really as terrible as everyone says?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 2 11:40:47 EST 2010

On 02/12/10 16:02, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> If you're having packet loss due to shallow buffers on any other line
> cards, make sure you have "mls qos" disabled.  By default, this will carve
> up the buffers on all line cards in a way that would make you weep.

Or presumably reconfigure the queueing?

  ! untested!!!
  wrr-queue queue-limit 100 0 0 0 0 0 0
  no wrr-queue random-detect 1
  wrr-queue cos-map 1 1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

...on a 1p7q8t port like a 6704. Would be interested if other people
have tried this successfully? We don't bother, but I do know of people
who've had this problem (dropping packets despite being at <10gbit/sec)

To be fair the PFC3 QoS guide explicitly says:

"""Do not enable PFC QoS globally and leave all other PFC QoS
configuration at default values...."""

...and goes on to describe the problem.