[c-nsp] Cisco ASR 9K Vs 7600

raymondh (NSP) raymondh.nsp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 12:27:05 EST 2010

If i didn't recall wrongly uRPF for IPv6 has been confirmed under Q1-Q2 2011 under the 4.1 stream.
- Please contact your Cisco rep. on that to confirm on the status.

It's not an EARL based platform.

on the XR has a couple of limitation on SNMP support for V6 but I've got a strong feeling that it'll be implemented and conformed to the stuff closed to the V4 MIBs.

Set aside the backplane capabilities, it has much stronger points on the SIP and SPA as compared to the MX running with PICs.
MX doesn't support low-speed SDH stuff whereas on the ASR it's already supported which is pretty similar to the 7600 concepts without the complications of selecting the right SIP as there's only one at the moment.

If you're looking for a triple / quad player stuff, I believe the BU managing had received a couple of feedback requests for subscriber management related stuff and etc (I was one of them too) hence it should be implemented as part of BNG portfolio *thinks* (assumed) as it's a market driven thing. If the MX can do it, the ASR9000 should too.

One of the points which is worth considering will be its XFP for OC192/STM64 in its 10G line card range as compared to the MX (though I've yet to test / try it)

My guess is Cisco will be going ahead of what's being offered in JUNOS with MX or matching it.

At the moment the ASR9000's 16 x 10G card is based on over subscription basis and not 1:1 basis. I think they should fixed that matching MX's or surpassing the >160G / slot density.

Lastly, do give XR a benefit of doubt as nothing is bug free and it takes time. To a certain extent, JUNOS is undergoing the transition stage of what IOS went thru in terms of bugs. Maybe Huawei will get it fixed with the fastest lead time ?

ALU's 7750 maybe a good consideration for something on a growing scale.

--raymondh

To be fair, MX right now has only 16 x 10G line cards (160G) based on JUNOS 10.x onwards.