[c-nsp] Monitor traffic on Cisco Routers

Pete Lumbis alumbis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 14:11:04 EST 2010

This isn't entirely correct.

On our switching platforms this is still forwarded in hardware. There
is no way you could SPAN line rate traffic through the CPU of most
Cisco switches. If it is ERSPAN or something that requires
encapsulation it might be.

For EPC on the software based ISRs, this is CPU driven, but all
traffic is centrally forwarded on the CPU.

-Pete