[c-nsp] FTTH access switch

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Dec 3 10:59:43 EST 2010

On 03/12/10 15:40, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

>> Deliver the TV over multicast?<ducks>  ;o)
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but why would that be considered a bad idea?

I was kidding. It's a very good idea and is used widely for just this
purpose in many network. But "use multicast" can sound very unhelpful if
there are reasons you can't e.g. the poster mentioned set-top boxes,
software apps (presumably on commodity PCs) and video games consoles.
Multicast support for the latter two is a bit of a crapshoot in my
experience.