[c-nsp] FTTH access switch

Roman A. Nozdrin drrtuy at ya.ru
Fri Dec 3 10:59:47 EST 2010

Hello.

> I would like to know what you guys are using as FTTH access switches?
> I guess Juniper and Cisco are a bit pricey considering per port cost,
> so many ISPs are using cheap switches with
> lots of (cheap again) optical sfp.
> Any recommendations for ftth access sw? I think that we can also use
> Juniper or Cisco if I have enough arguments to use those, for a small
> deployment and speeds no more then 100Mbits internet per customer and
> maybe iptv.

We have been using Dlink des-3526 at the FTTH access for the last 4
years. The model is slightly outdated in terms of its features but we
were able to produce all the features we need: multicast vlan, redundant
topology, qos(the switch even supports per-flow policy), some traffic
filtering. We have recently introduced cheap self-made redundant power
supply system for the switch what is a very important question here in
Russia.
We consider a des-3528 switch as its successor at the moment.

WBR
Roman Nozdrin