[c-nsp] ASR 1002-F as LNS.

Andrew K. andrew at vianet.ca
Fri Dec 3 10:35:20 EST 2010

We, a moderately sized ISP, attempted to upgrade our current 7206VXR
NPE-G2 to an ASR 1002-F as an LNS but we ran into some issues.  The ASR
would start to ignore sessions and the only fix was to reload the
device.  This seemed to start happening after about 2000 PPPoE and 4000
PPPoE over VPDN session were terminated for about a weeks time; then the
only way to get connected it seemed was to wait till two others
disconnected.  Watching the debugs indicated the 1002-F would ignore the
PADR response from the client and would not send the PADS
session-confirmation packet.

After speaking with Cisco TAC we were told the ESP-2.5 kit did not
support PPPoE aggregation and there is not broadband license available.
Cisco then told us we need to purchase an ASR-1002 (which I believe runs
an ESP-5) as well as a couple broadband licenses.

What is very odd is the device works fine until a certain session count
is reached, be it connects/disconnect or total online sessions I am not
certain, then suddenly stops working.  Cisco was unable to tell me if
this was a hardware or software issue/bug simply flat out "it is not
supported on that piece of hardware".

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience using this devices as
an LNS.

I thought about just using it as a LAC but fear running into the same issue.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Andrew.