[c-nsp] BFD and no ip redirects ?

Benjamin Lovell belovell at cisco.com
Tue Dec 7 11:40:51 EST 2010

Some other around I sure know it better than me. BFD has two modes. I tend to forget/mix up the terms but they are generally as so..

1) I send you hellos, you send me hellos. Similar enough to any route protocol method that you get the idea.
2) I send a packet to you that is addressed back to myself. When you get the packet you do a forwarding lookup and just send it right back to me. This is done in hardware with one caveat, you must turn off redirects else packet will be punts as routing lookup says egress same interface you came in on.

As you can see in scenario two far side will "process" BFD packets in hardware as it really does not care/know it was a BFD packet.

I have a dubious opinion of the usefulness as you are really only proving the forwarding of the ONE IP forwarding entry that leads back to your connected IP, but that's the idea anyway.

-Ben