[c-nsp] Q regarding QoS on 6500

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 18:28:17 EST 2010

--- On Tue, 7/12/10, Roger Wiklund <copse at xy.org> wrote:

> I have a simple question regarding QoS on 6500.
>
> My question is: how do I know what type of cards/interfaces
> I'm using (Flex WAN, OCM-WAN, LAN), and what type of QoS they
> support.

I don't think there is an easy answer to your question. Usually you'll have to dig into the specific card specs to see what it does/doesn't support. As a general "rule of thumb" (and there are probably numerous exclusions to this) the LAN style cards (ie. WS-C6xxx) don't really support much more QoS than policing and changing the queue allocations. The WAN style cards (eg. Flex WAN, SIP+SPA, ES20, etc) tend to support the QoS you'd be expecting to be able to do on a "router".

> http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/archived-articles/425.html
>
> In the article there is a table listing what QoS features
> are supported on what type of Interfaces etc.

The link you gave is a good indication of what is supported on LAN & WAN cards, but for specifics you have to look at the spec sheet for that particular card. EG:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps6267/product_data_sheet0900aecd804d884d.html

regards,
Tony.