[c-nsp] ME Series for a LAN/Server Farm

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Wed Dec 8 18:44:16 EST 2010

On 9/12/2010 10:28 AM, Jeremy Bresley wrote:
> On 12/8/2010 1:44 PM, Keegan Holley wrote:
>> I know from previous conversations that the architecture as well as some of
>> the defaults for the ME series are different than the traditional switching
>> platforms. I was curious if there were any reasons why I shouldn't use them
>> in a "vanilla" switching environment such as a LAN or a server farm. I need
>> to do fiber aggregation and I haven't been able to find any cisco platform
>> that will allow me to create an all 1G fiber stack with dual power. I was
>> curious if anyone had experience using these as just normal switching
>> platforms.
>
> Options for 1G fiber connectivity with dual power:
> 3750G-12S with an RPS
> 4900M with 4/8-port modules and TwinX converters
> 4500 with WS-X4624-SFP-E or WS-X4448-GB-SFP line cards
> 6500 with WS-X6724-SFP or WS-X6748-SFP line cards

What about the ME6524 with the SFP instead of copper downlink ports?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps6568/ps6845/ps6846/prod_bulletin0900aecd80406599.html

It has two PSUs (can operate on 1) and is based on the 6500 and runs
12.2(33)SXI, but smaller form factor and a bit less expensive ?

We bought one recently and are delighted with it, the only slight annoyance is
the TCAM size which limits the hardware routing to 256k entries...

Reuben