[c-nsp] full routes / backup router

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Dec 9 02:30:23 EST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 06:30:08PM -0500, Adam Greene wrote:
> I need a backup router for a 7206VXR/NPE-400/512MB RAM than can handle
> full routes from a single eBGP peer. Router provides transit to an
> end-user. Remaining configs on router are minimal, max throughput is
> about 30-40Mbps.

What good is "full routes from a single peer"?  Just point a default
route there...

> Would a 2911/512MB RAM be sufficient? Or is the CPU too puny? Maybe we
> need a 3825/521MB RAM? Or I guess we could just get a backup
> 7206VXR/NPE-400/512MB RAM.

As per the routerperformance.pdf, the 2911 is (regarding packet forwarding)
nearly as fast as the NPE-400, and the 2921 would be somewhat faster - so
if then NPE-400 is sufficient now, the 2921 should do well as backup.

OTOH, why bother with BGP full tables if all you have is a single peer.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de