[c-nsp] 3550 layer 3 switch replacement for v6

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Dec 9 15:54:18 EST 2010

I need to start looking at replacing 3550-48 switches with something
comparable that supports ipv6.  I tried using feature navigator, but the
info it was giving me was so suspect I won't even bother repeating it.  My
impression from past looks into this issue is that the 3560-48TS (which
actually went end of sales earlier this year) is a comparable switch to
the 3550, does ipv6 in hardware, but has far less flexible per port
policing, which will require a total redesign of our customer port limits.

I'm wondering if there are any major surprises with the 3560 when you
enable ipv6 routing and ipv6 ospf?  I know doing so cuts the supported
number of routes in half.  Also, we've kind of been abusing the 3550s, by
running them with generally most of the ports in layer 3 mode.  The
"recommended" number of routed interfaces on a 3550-48 is only 8!  Can we
get away with running 48 dual-stack layer 3 ports on a 3560-48TS?

Or is there a better switch I should be looking at?  Is the 3560 v2
appreciably better than the original?  It looks like the only change we'd
benefit from is lower power consumption.  They run the same software, so
features should be the same.