[c-nsp] OT: Wireless Mesh for Public Safety Video Surveillance

Felix Nkansah felixnkansah at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 07:01:29 EST 2010

Hi,

A city is considering improving physical security with about 3,000 IP
cameras for real-time monitoring, backed by sophisticated video analysis
software at their data center.

They are planning on optical fiber connections to all the cameras - RJ45
converters may be used for the camera connections.

However, I find that some cities have built secure self-healing wireless
mesh networks to accomplish this same goal.

We believe the optical fiber connections are more secure, not subject to
jams and interception, etc.

The wireless mesh approach appears to be a more viable and appealing
alternative to me though.

I wish to know your opinion on the subject. Would you recommend the use of
wireless for such a purpose by a state security department? Thanks.

Felix