[c-nsp] Script to track memory leaks?

Sascha Pollok nsp-list at pollok.net
Mon Dec 13 07:21:43 EST 2010

Hello Ziv,

thanks for your suggestions.

> Do you have this feature available in your router ?
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/configuration/guide/cf_mem-leak-detect.html#wp1027129

At least not on the one leaking memory :) But thanks for the URL.

> If not, you could run a script from a linux box with a remote ssh command and cut the output to your needs, and then feed it into a rrd file or whatever.
> But given the fact the command "sh proc mem" gives you a lot of colums/lines and they change all the time, you need to narrow down and pin a specific value you want to graph.
>
> If you have ssh available in your router, it's quite simple to get output using remote commands via ssh.
> Of course it needs a little tweaking first, but once done, it's very practical
>
> Using Ivan's howto you can achieve the required settings:
> http://blog.ioshints.info/2009/10/ssh-rsa-authentication-works-in-ios.html
>
> Then once it's done, you can run a command from any cli ssh client like this:
>
> ssh -i /path/to/id_rsa user at your_router_address sh proc mem | grep BGP

We pull lots of different data through router's VTY every few minutes
and use expect scripts for this. My question was whether there is an
existing script to parse the output and fill RRDs or similar. I could
still do it myself of course - which is what I'll be doing after lunch ;)

Thanks
Sascha