[c-nsp] RES: Outbound Load balancing using eBGP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Dec 24 03:08:29 EST 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 03:46:04AM +0000, RAZ MUHAMMAD wrote:
> Just wondering if you have stopped using local-pref manipulation, then do
> you rely on BGP protocol to decide the best path based on the decision made
> by the algorithm(without any attributes manipulation)?

Yes.

*If* we need to push traffic, we usually find something that has lots of
traffic and the same AS path length and nudge it using MED (and setting
"bgp always-compare-med").  That way, as long as the as-path length is
the same, it will prefer our preferred way - and if topology changes, we
don't force it somewhere where it won't perform.

In very rare cases we use local-pref to force something *away* - like
"upstream A has very poor connectivity to AS Z, so set local-pref 50
there".  But this always needs to be reviewed after a while, to avoid
cruft accumulating in the router configs that does not reflect reality
anymore.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de