[c-nsp] bbq 2970

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Sun Dec 26 19:30:22 EST 2010

On 12/26/2010 08:57 AM, Keegan Holley wrote:
> Depends on your throughput needs.  Have you looked at the 2960-S
> series?  It's pretty much a 2960 with 10G stack cables.  It would be a
> cheap way to allow your environment to scale without needing routed
> hops or spanning tree.  Also, the 29xx switches are pretty well
> oversubscribed.  I'm not sure if that was ever an issue for you though.

Nope... never pushed even a gigabit really.

> You may also want to check your UPS if you actually had a power event
> destroy equipment.  I can't think of a scenario where that
> would/should ever happen.  You should be looking at smoked
> breakers/UPS equipment, not smoked network gear.  If the same happened
> to your systems/disk infrastructure you'd probably be in serious trouble.

We had a few other equipments 'locked up'. The 2970 we pulled apart and
observed a capacitor with tell-tell crust on the top of it, and some
other components that look like they have been heating up lately
(discolored). Everything else seems fine. We're going to re-think our
power situation and look to implement a battery bank with generator as
opposed to our current aging ups system (apc5000).

Thanks for the suggestion tho. The 2960's seem quite pricy however.

Mike-