[c-nsp] Console server

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Thu Dec 30 18:05:28 EST 2010

On 31/12/2010, at 8:36 AM, Kevin Warwashana wrote:

> Other than an rare PS failure the Perle CS9000's work good.  We also use
> 2610's with a NM-16A.

We've recently gone Perle IOLAN SCS and they appear to do all the things a good console server should. The only complaint is you can't configure the built in modem for both dial in and dial out. On a 2511, you could use 'modem InOut' and telnet to 2017 so you could use the nearest console server to dial out to the destination you're after. With the Perle, I need a modem on my desk. Yick.

As long as you buy something non-Cisco, you'll be fine. 2509/2511 are dog slow and don't support modern features (encryption, dual Ethernet failover, IPv6, etc). 2600/2800 with async NMs are expensive as hell, and still don't do some of the cooler features (multiple user on a single console, console logging, etc).

And don't get me started on the number of 2511 AUI adaptors I've had to reseat....