[c-nsp] Layer 2 VLAN advice..

Peter Kranz pkranz at unwiredltd.com
Mon Feb 1 15:59:55 EST 2010

Currently in our network we use dot1Q trunks to forward end-user/customer
VLANs from Site A to Site B to provide them virtual point-to-point circuits
between data centers without the overhead of some type of VPN tunnel.

However if one of our backhauls between data centers fails, we would desire
these VLAN's to forward via an alternative backhaul path (All of our data
centers have at least 2 exits to other datacenters in our network, and are
meshed via OSPF/BGP)

It seems like there are a lot of different approaches to provide some level
of self-healing/redundancy to these layer2 services we offer, I am
interested in advice on which would be most straightforward to implement on
top of our existing layer3 network.

Perhaps implementing Rapid-PVST is the simplest approach, but I'd be
interested in some best-practices knowledge here..

Thanks!

Peter Kranz
www.UnwiredLtd.com
Desk: 510-868-1614 x100