[c-nsp] what is it with 3550s?

Ian McDonald iam at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Feb 3 12:45:26 EST 2010

Jeff Bacon wrote:
> They seem to be an incredibly popular device, especially for telcos as
> CPE devices. Why? (I have no use for them, really, and they appear to be
> EOL, I'm just really curious.)

Jeff,

They're relatively fully featured, run relatively recent IOS, and are
dirt cheap. (3550-24FX's run ~350UKP). The fibre ones were also kept "on
the books" for quite a while, until the 3750-24FS launched (but they
cost a fortune).

In my experience, they don't suffer from the early 3750 reliability
issues either. (I have some early (2004/2005 ish) C3750G-12S's that have
mainboard capacitor explosions). Later C3750-12S's (starting sometime
before Feb 2006, and marked -V4 on the label) have a different
mainboard, with a differently designed power stage. )

--
ian

Ian McDonald, ITS, University of St Andrews
T: +441334462779 F: +441334462759
The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland: SC013532