[c-nsp] find window's machine from Cisco Router

Smales, Robert Robert.Smales at cw.com
Fri Feb 5 12:38:37 EST 2010

You can't identify the OS from a MAC address, MAC addresses are assigned by whoever made the Ethernet chip, the Linux boxes could have cards from the same manufacturer as the Windows boxes - I've got two home-built PCs, identical hardware, one runs Windows 7, the other Debian Etch, you couldn't tell them apart by their MAC addresses.

If there are only 7 devices on the OPs network, wouldn't it be simpler to walk round the room to see what was what?

Robert
Robert Smales
Technical Engineer
Cable&Wireless Worldwide