[c-nsp] Cisco 7401ASR ?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Feb 9 09:27:52 EST 2010

On (2010-02-09 15:11 +0100), Manu Chao wrote:

> new ASR are better ;)

Indeed, but of course 7400, ASR1k and ASR9k have nothing in common while
name might suggest so, so 'new ASR' is bit stretching it.
ASR1k is popey/QFP which is cisco IP, AFAIK based on tensilica di570t,
running IOS as process on top of linux.
ASR9k is EZchip NP(3c|4), which is 3rd party NPU with fabric is from
nexus7k, running IOS-XR on top of QNX obviously.
7400 is plain old IOS, purely software router today as toaster/PXF cannot
be enabled.

I think ASR1k is very interesting platform for some applications while
ASR9k as it is today is overshadowed by MX. CSCO will have to work hard to
bridge the gap.

> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
>
> > On (2010-02-09 14:30 +0100), Phibee Network Operation Center wrote:
> >
> > > i am search a real information on the Cisco 7401ASR :
> > > If you have one units ;=)
> > >
> > > I want know if this cisco are same performence that the
> > > Cisco 7204 with a NPE 400 ?
> >
> > ASR was the second product to be blessed (or cursed) with toaster
> > chip a.k.a PXF.
> > Like first product NSE-1 it was failure and newer software will disable and
> > won't allow enabling PXF, so everything will be software switched, like in
> > NPE400, performance is below NPE300.
> >
> > > He support MPLS, Interworking and EoMPLS
> > >
> > > It's the same IOS that Cisco 7204 ?
> >
> > No. Also it is EOL platform and as price for gray NPE300 is ridiculously
> > small I personally wouldn't accept even free ASR's.
> >
> > --
> >  ++ytti

  ++ytti