[c-nsp] Nexus 2000 vs Catalyst 4948 for access layer

Brad Hedlund brhedlun at cisco.com
Tue Feb 9 09:30:01 EST 2010

The Nexus 2000->5000 design does require looking at things a bit differently than you have in the past.  Data Center architecture is changing fast due to the rapid onset of Data Center virtualization.  Server & Storage administrators have been struggling with this change as well, this isn't something unique to the Network.

There is a tendency to view the Nexus 2000 as a switch.  And understandably so because it's packaged like a switch, looks like a switch, and installs in the rack like a switch.  Because of this perception it's easy to subject it to the typical switch design criteria.  But in doing so you begin an exercise that leads to more frustration than clarity because you are apply old thinking to new technology.

It makes more sense to view the Nexus 2000 as a linecard that has been pulled out of a switch, packaged up in sheet metal, and the backplane ports connecting to the supervisor engine changed to SFP+ ports.  You know have a linecard that connects to its supervisor engine with cables.

Why is that significant?  Because it reduces the complexity (and therefore total cost of ownership) of adopting a Data Center virtualization architecture.

(10) Nexus 2000's are managed no differently than (10) linecards.  I think we can all agree that a linecard requires a lot less management than a switch.
It also allows the Data Center to grow into larger L2 domains required by virtualization by minimizing the # of L2 nodes, because the Nexus 2000 links to data center with L1, versus L2.

Business leaders are hearing a lot about cloud computing these days, and it's cost advantages to the business.  Yet there is a valid concern with data privacy and security that comes with public cloud computing.  If internal IT can transform their data centers into a private cloud, or at least drastically improve the operational efficiency and total cost of ownership of their own data centers ... the wholesale outsourcing of the data center applications to the public cloud become less attractive to the business leaders.

--
Brad Hedlund, CCIE #5530, VCP
Technology Solutions Architect, Data Center
bhedlund at cisco.com
http://www.internetworkexpert.org