[c-nsp] Best practice - Core vs Access Router

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Tue Feb 9 09:33:05 EST 2010

6500s are just an awful platform and have caveats out the wazoo.

Yes, the 3BXL will do full internet tables, but not as well as any router Cisco offers (GSR...)

Yes, the 6724 Line card can do 24 1Gbps connections, but not if you have bursty traffic (buffer overflows)

Yes, the Supervisor will respond to traceroutes, but in software... (rate limit TTL)

If you ping the 6500 while BGP scanner is running you will see 600ms responses...

Most of these things (except for the 6724 line card suckage) are 'fixed' in hardware only platforms (GSR... etc)

I probably sound bitter, but if one goes straight from what Cisco's documentation says they would think the 6500 is a great platform, but there should be a * next to everything in that entire white paper.

-Drew