[c-nsp] Nexus 2000 vs Catalyst 4948 for access layer

Brad Hedlund brhedlun at cisco.com
Wed Feb 10 10:01:30 EST 2010

Michael-

On Feb 9, 2010, at 10:30 PM, Michael K. Smith wrote:

> "the cloud" is not sufficient for your regulatory needs.  However, you can
> build your own "cloud" which we used to call a Wide Area Network.

That's exactly my point if you've been following this thread.  Internal IT *can* build/buy their own private cloud.  The VCE vBlock is one example of that, and there is a good reason why the vBlock has <GASP> fabric extenders.  Applying the same old thinking to data center design isn't going to build a private cloud.

> A switch?  A router?  Those costs are small in comparison to cooling 100k of data center with 15Kw per rack.

Agree 1000%.  This thread started off in the minutia of server access layer switches, but there is a much larger equation here as you point out (the multitude of servers).  However while the switch itself may seem like minutia, the architectural plays you make at the server access switching layer can have a broader reaching impact on power & cooling efficiencies.  Again there is a reason the VCE vBlock has <GASP> FCoE.

> Then you should post from your gmail account.

What difference would that make? We're all adults here.

Cheers,
Brad

--
Brad Hedlund, CCIE #5530
Technology Solutions Architect, Data Center
bhedlund at cisco.com
http://www.internetworkexpert.org