[c-nsp] Limiting DHCP on a Bridge Group

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Wed Feb 10 14:06:25 EST 2010

On 10.02.2010 19:04, David Prall wrote:
> Match protocol is nbar, I can never remember which require "ip nbar
> protocol-discovery" on the interface.

Tried it (put it in the bvi1 interface), still getting DHCP replies
though .. recognition is working fine, though ...

   dhcp                     2                        1
                            1180                     352

The policy map/class seem to be attached to the BVI correctly, too:

T#show policy-map int
 BVI1

  Service-policy input: NODHCP

    Class-map: NODHCP (match-all)
      0 packets, 0 bytes
      5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: protocol dhcp
      Match: input-interface FastEthernet0
      drop
[..]
    Class-map: class-default (match-any)
      931 packets, 57159 bytes
      5 minute offered rate 1000 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: any

Even added another class with input interface of VLAN1, still no success
... on the show policy-map command, none of the class-maps show any IP
traffic, except for the default class ...

After setting up two seperate classes to check for either an interface,
or the protocol, it looks like the protocol part is working, while the
interface match seems to fail ... adding both vlan1 and bvi1, I guess
the class/policy map isn't able to differentiate the incoming interface
anymore at that stage, as all the traffic is listed under BVI1, though
the computer used to connect to the router at that point is connected to
Fa0 ...:

    Class-map: test1 (match-any)
      81 packets, 4860 bytes
      5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: input-interface FastEthernet0
        0 packets, 0 bytes
        5 minute rate 0 bps
      Match: input-interface FastEthernet1
        0 packets, 0 bytes
        5 minute rate 0 bps
      Match: input-interface FastEthernet2
        0 packets, 0 bytes
        5 minute rate 0 bps
      Match: input-interface FastEthernet3
        0 packets, 0 bytes
        5 minute rate 0 bps
      Match: input-interface Vlan1
        0 packets, 0 bytes
        5 minute rate 0 bps
      Match: input-interface BVI1
        81 packets, 4860 bytes
        5 minute rate 0 bps

Any suggestion as to how to get around this? Maybe adding seperate vlans
to each port and binding them to the bridge group?

> Why not use an access-list denying dhcp
> deny udp any eq bootpc any eq bootps

Because I still need the DHCP to go through on the WLAN link?

Tnx, garry