[c-nsp] multicast on transit LAN

Marco Regini marco.regini at ascotlc.it
Tue Feb 16 11:21:02 EST 2010

Hi Jon,
MVR is a very interesting feauture, thanks. I need some time to reflect, may be I'am not going to use it  this time but knowing i can do multicast in this way is important.

One question: how I use MVR with PIM?

On my 3570 ( my distribution router) I configure a svi 101

!
int Vlan 101
 description L3 FOR MVR MULTICAST
 ip address 172.16.101.1 255.255.255.0
 ip pim sparse-dense-mode
!

On my Catalyst 3560 ( my access apparatus) I do not create a svi 101 but simply put mvr on the access interface:

!
interface Fa0/30
 description L2 Customer Smith
 switchport access vlan 30