[c-nsp] GSR: 3GE-GBIC-SC v4 traffic influenced by v6 traffic?

Sascha E. Pollok nsp-list at pollok.net
Fri Feb 26 16:25:08 EST 2010

Hello Jan,

thanks for your reply. It sheds some light on that annoying
problem.

>> forwarding IPv4 traffic or AT LEAST stops responding to ICMP Echo
>> (directed to the interface IP) or loses IP protocols like
>> LDP or OSPF which could point to problems GRP/PRP -> Interface.
>> It seems like this happens exactly at that moment when the
>> card's CPU hits 100%.
>
> this was exactly the reason why we de-activated IPv6 on these lincards. This
> applies for all Engine 2 linecards.

do you remember any ways to track this problem e.g. how I can
check how much a certain buffer is filling up etc?
I checked several things on the linecard with
sh contr frfab and tofab etc but couldn't find any evidence
for internal buckets filling up.

>> I know that the Engine 2 card is not state-of-the-art especially
>> for v6 traffic but I am looking for a confirmation that this
>> behaviour is indeed something that could happen. If so, I might
>> go to for 4GE-SFP-LC or similar which does v6 in hardware AFAIK.
>
> 4GE-SFP-LC and any other Engine 3 linecard works well..

4GE cards are on their way... :-)

Thanks again
Sascha