[c-nsp] 3750ME L2/MPLS combined scenario - "Thread Resurrection"

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Jan 2 02:31:02 EST 2010

On Saturday 02 February 2008 12:36:08 am Rubens Kuhl Jr.
wrote:

Hello all.

Apologies for resurrecting this very old thread, but...

> We've tried that with 3750ME, and the half a million bugs
>  and architectural flaws made us drop that line of
>  devices out of MPLS altogether. Keeping the PW with L2
>  on 3750ME will make your customer happier.

... we're in a situation where extending MPLS into the
access may make a bit of sense.

The platform currently in the field is as described in this
thread, the Cisco 3750ME, albeit it's working in Layer 2-
only mode, today. In the spirit of not wanting to replace
these boxes with something else more capable as yet, do the
comments from Rubens, above, still hold true as of IOS
12.2(52)SE?

Keeping in mind the various hardware/software restrictions
associated with this class of platforms, we'd be looking to
run the following on the system (some are advertised as
supported by Cisco, others are implied as such):

	* MPLS upstream to the core
	* IPv4 forwarding for customers
	* IPv4 forwarding over MPLS (upstream to core)
	* IPv6 forwarding for customers
	* IPv4, IPv6, MPLS ECMP
	* Locally-significant VLAN's for customers
	* EoMPLS for customers
	* l3vpn's for customers (BGP-based)
	* IS-IS (Loopbacks + Infrastructure)
	* BGP (default route importation only)

Since all our Layer 2 features are used to "wire" customers
to the nearest Layer 3/MPLS-capable box, we have no need to
implement Layer 2 features beyond local VLAN support,
provided the ones mentioned above can work without issue.

We haven't had a chance to run anything as remotely advanced
as the features highlighted above, so any useful operational
feedback (especially the negatives) from folk who have would
be much appreciated, as we begin our own tests as well.

Operator feedback in this case is initially far more useful
than input from Cisco themselves. The 3750ME really only
makes sense if those features can be reliably supported
beyond paper; else, the case for Layer 2-only Ethernet
switches becomes far more compelling, e.g., Cisco 2960,
e.t.c.

Cheers,

Mark.