[c-nsp] 3550 IO memory fragmentation

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Jan 5 12:58:45 EST 2010

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Alan Buxey wrote:

> we've had an issue with certain IOS - now running 12.2(44)SE6 - on the 3550
> platform.
>
> note...there is a newer IOS floating around - 12.2(50)SE-somesuch..but that
> seems to only be relevant for the 3550-24td or such specific version - dont
> run it on any other one as , though it appears to work, you egt some interesting
> results! ;-)

I noticed that one when looking at newer IOS's not too long ago.  I
assumed it was only released "for" a specific version of the 3550-24
because that's the only model left of the 3550 family that's not reached
EOL.  I saw that it would boot on a 3550-48, but didn't go any further
with it than watching it boot.  What goes wrong with it?

> any reason for lurking down in the 12.1EA release train?

Have you looked at the difference in RAM usage between 12.1EA and 12.2SE?
I suppose most of the RAM on a 3550 doesn't get used / won't get used...so
15MB or 20MB free vs 40MB free really doesn't matter.