[c-nsp] Cisco 2801 full bgp multihome

Vincent C Jones v.jones at networkingunlimited.com
Wed Jan 6 14:57:39 EST 2010

One trick I've used where resources are tight is to "take" full routes,
but filter them so that I only accept "local" (short AS path) and a few
key indicator prefixes (typically out of country root DNS server
subnets). The indicator prefixes are used to drive a conditional default
route (use this ISP as default only if it appears to be well connected)
while the number of ASN's allowed in "local" prefixes can be adjusted to
control the number accepted.

Note that this only impacts traffic going out from you. Inbound traffic
is a separate issue. With only a single /24, your inbound load balancing
options are limited. Depending on the connectivity of your upstreams and
who your users are talking to, you may also see lots of asymmetric
routing.

Good luck and have fun!
--
Vincent C. Jones