[c-nsp] Data Center cooling

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Thu Jan 7 13:08:36 EST 2010

Hello Scott:

We are in Seattle and use an air-exchanger system that relies on outside
air as much as possible, and then blends in chilled water as necessary
up to 100% chilled.  It's fairly common here because of the nature of
our climate, and the psychrometric scale
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychrometrics) is favorable for us.

We've also looked at increasing our data center temps from 68F/20C to
closer to 78F/25.56C (hi Gert), but our marketing folks have been the
most resistant because of the prevailing expectation that colder is
better.  There is some good research and testing being done by
Microsoft, Intel and Google in this arena, but I don't think enough has
been published yet to give that calming feeling to the marketing folks.
I would imagine, however, that we will see increasing data center
temperatures more and more in the coming years.

Regards,

Mike