[c-nsp] Subnetting Issue --- help

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Fri Jan 8 08:30:27 EST 2010

vijay gore wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> i have one question regarding subneting,
>
> in my network i have given ip for FastEthernet1 192.168.9.65/27
>
> this interface is connected to local LAN - in the local machine ip i have
> given 192.168.9.66 TO 192.168.9.75 using subnet /24
>
> my question is that if there is any problem in using /24 subneting in LOCAL
> LAN, i mean problem link speed issue or any bandwidth issue will happen ??

No link speed or bandwidth issues, but your network will not be able to
see anything within the 192.168.9/24 prefix (other than what is within
your /27).

All devices within your network will never go to the default gateway to
route externally like they should, as all devices will think that the
rest of the /24 is internal, rendering the subnet unreachable.

Either render a /24 prefix on the router's fast Ethernet interface, or
change the internal hosts to /27 as well.

Steve